Monday, January 31, 2011

Enough is Enough

"Breaking news," reports the SportsCenter broadcast from the living room, "After coming in 44th yesterday at (insert random golf tournament no one cares about here), Tiger Woods decided that he just doesn't play very well when he's single. So this morning he announced he will be joining the dating site eHarmony. Unfortunately, he soon realized this wasn't the type of dating site he was looking for." We also can't forget spending five minutes analyzing each hole he played in his 44th-place finish, the clips of his now slightly subdued antics of disgust included.

Or, five minutes later: "After eating eggs and toast for breakfast, Brett Favre decided to go out hunting earlier today. He came back empty-handed, possibly because he was too busy texting..."

Okay, these aren't real SportsCenter reports (what I wrote actually sounds more like the Comedy Central show Onion SportsDome, a show you should really check out), but my point here is that some athletes are just covered way too much by ESPN. I am tired of their love, or at least excessive coverage of Tiger Woods, Brett Favre, the Miami Heat, and some others. I doubt I'm alone.

I'm not much of a golf fan. I don't know who number one in the world is. I wouldn't unless I was a follower of the sport. I certainly know who No. 3 is, though (Tiger Woods). And I know who Phil Mickelson is, even though he is ranked like a hundred something. Why? Because I watch SportsCenter. And regardless of how they do, all of the coverage and analysis is of their play, even if Bubba Watson or some other unknown wins the tournament. Maybe the only reason the casual sports fan only knows of a few golfers is because only a few of them are covered. Golf relies so much on Tiger Woods, because he gets five times more coverage than every other golfer combined.

Brett Favre. I don't even want to talk about him, but I will. Now that he's actually retired, hopefully for sure this time, one would assume the coverage of him would finally come to an end. Yeah right. Instead he has to remain in the spotlight, because he's fallen ill with the Tiger Woods Syndrome. His "sexting" hasn't been proven, but until someone figures this out, he'll remain in the news. Thankfully, there hasn't been much talk about him lately, but it'll surely return.

There are the guys that do deserve the attention they've been receiving, such as Shaun White, Blake Griffin, and Kevin Love. Theirs certainly hasn't been to the extent of the aforementioned, not even close. But their dominance of their sport makes them more than worthy of it, and constant talk of them I could withstand for a little while, to take away the attention of the guys far past their prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment