Thursday, May 24, 2012

Frustration with the Media (ESPN) - Part 1

When I was little, I used to adore ESPN. I'd stay up late on weekend nights watching essentially the same SportsCenter over and over. Scott Van Pelt, Neil Everett and others cracked me up (in fact, they still do, but now they never seem to be on for some reason). The network could do no wrong in my eyes; only reporting sports in a fun, casual way.

Sad to say, that's far from true.

Here's the bottom line: they care only about ratings, and not the quality of their content. They only focus on big markets and express a love affair toward the "superstar" athletes.

Here's their list:

Athletes - Tim Tebow, Brett Favre, LeBron James, Tom Brady,  Danica Patrick, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Tiger Woods, Dwyane Wade, Blake Griffin, Michael Vick

Teams - Miami Heat, New England Patriots, Dallas Cowboys, Los Angeles Lakers, Boston Red Sox, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Knicks, Los Angeles Clippers, New York Jets, Duke Blue Devils, North Carolina Tar Heels, and the entire SEC football conference.

Much more on this topic coming soon.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting take. The reason why I don't watch SportsCenter as much as I did is because of MLB Network and NHL Network. I follow baseball and hockey closely: other sports just are not of interest to me. Those networks exclusive focus on the sports of my preference make them better options for sports news. I'd be interested in knowing if SportsCenter's ratings have been adversely affected since the inception of networks focusing on one sports league.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I will certainly look into that. I know NBC Sports just came out with their own network, but it hasn't seemed to have taken away any of ESPN's traffic. I'll try to find out if there are any stats.

    ReplyDelete